If you own a home the day will come when the plumbing will need some type of maintenance. You may even want to do some plumbing upgrades by adding a fixture such as a water closet or vanity sink next to the guest room in your basement. Doing this will require the expertise of a qualified plumber. However, depending on the complexity of the project you might be able to complete the project by yourself.
If you decide to not to use a qualified to do the work there are a number of things to take into consideration.
1. Are you capable of completing the task in a timely and cost- effective manner. Remember you will likely need to get your hands dirty and possibly have to do some heavy lifting. Installing a water closet (toilet) or new sink can get messy and these items can be heavy.
2. If you are new to construction you will probably need to buy the correct tools to complete the project. This can be expensive depending on the type of project you are undertaking. Of course you will to how to properly use these tools. Improper use of these various plumbing tools can cause expensive components to be damaged. This can lead to leaks and cost you money in the long run.
3. Deciding to installing a fixture such as a toilet or sink will require understanding if the existing plumbing can handle the extra load. This means knowing about how these fixtures will affect your homes drainage, potable water supply and venting.
4. Maintenance of your homes plumbing will also require the correct knowledge of the materials you will need to complete the project. Using the incorrect materials will lead to problems. These could end being very expensive.
5. If you decide to upgrade you home by adding extra fixtures you will need to understand which of these additions are best suited for you needs. You will also need to determine which of these units will fit in the space you want to install them.
There are other considerations, these are just a few. Having an expert plumbing doing the maintenance or upgrade might be worth the expense in the long run. However if you choose to go it alone there are a number of helpful resources available on the internet. Your local library can also provide you with some helpful hints.